Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pinterest Changes Terms of Service

Yes, Pinterest is the new kid on the block.  It's also one of the fastest growing sites.  So, of course there will be problems and trouble along the route to success.

When I saw this "pin" popping up everywhere, I clicked on it and read the article and many other articles posted by supportive people.

The articles pointed out that the Terms of Service reserved the right to sell anything we posted.

The dilemma was put like this:  You post a picture of a cat.  This is not your cat and not your photo.  However, by posting this picture, you claim responsibility for it.

Let's say that a cat food company likes this photo and purchases it from Pinterest.  The cat food company then uses this cat photo on the new cat food container and promotion.

The rightful owner of said cat sees the cat on the package of cat food and sues the cat food company.  The cat food company sues Pinterest who supplied the photo.  Pinterest comes to YOU, who posted the photo, and YOU GET SUED because you didn't check to see  if the photo had permission to be published in the first place.

400K people responded to this glitch in the Terms of Service, and Pinterest responded by CHANGING the Terms of Service.

We were all notified, and the Change takes effect on April 6.  I looked at the New Terms of Service, and find that they did withdraw the right to sell anything posted.

However, it looks like the rest of the language has been tightened to protect Pinterest.  We (the pinners) are Really, REALLY supposed to find the original source of our pins and make SURE that the permissions are in place before pinning.

This is a good thing.  I think.  But also a little impossible.  I have 19,000 pins on 154 boards.  I'm never going to be able to go back and find the original source.  Some of these photos have been circulated far and wide and I don't know if it's ok or not.

I'm basically in the same dilemma that I was in from the beginning.  I like to pin images that please my eye.  I don't plan to do anything with them except enjoy them.

Yes, I'm trying to justify  myself and my continued piracy of other people's work.  I credit anything that comes with a credit already attached.  But looking for the original source?  I don't see it happening.
Shame on me, but there it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment