Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Addiction Anxiety

I'm beginning to understand the Nature of Addiction.  I've always prided myself on not being addicted to much.  I admit my addiction to breathing and sugar.  One is good for me :) and the other not so much :(

The sugar addiction has taught me a lot about addiction.  I can "control" it, meaning I can try to dictate the time and amount of sugar I ingest.  However, I often find myself eating it unconsciously and in larger amounts than I intended (eating the 3rd or 4th cookie when 1 would have been sufficient).

So who is controlling whom?

I'm often heard giving thanks that my addictions are small.  I've not allowed addictions to tobacco, or alcohol, or sex :)  I've also never become addicted to exercise, schedules, or salad :(

My life limps along in the middle of the road.  No extremes but also not lot of highs or lows.  It usually works for me.

Then, Pinterest comes along and I find an entirely new category of addiction.  It's neither good or bad, per se, but could become one extreme or the other.

When the addiction takes over (and YES, it does take over)  I find myself at the computer for HOURS.

I know better.  It hurts my body.  My shoulder will ache from this much abuse.  My legs my develop cramps when I finally stand up.  My wrist will protest for days.

But I pin on.  There is always the next image and the image after that.  From experience, I know that the images that are available to pin disappear after 24 hours.  So, if I don't look every day, I'll miss something.

Forget that many of these images are things I pinned back in November and December.  They look pretty and I pin them again, and again.
I need to work up a little self respect and discipline.  Pin responsibly :)

Apparently this is the only way I can work with the addiction instead of giving in to it?!

No comments:

Post a Comment