Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Freak Out

Last week, I followed a Pin that scared me.  It was a link to an article that spelled out the terms of the User Agreement on Pinterest.  You know, that document that no one actually reads, but that your must agree to before you have access to a site?

So, I read what was posted, and the articles posted by several other people from links on the original article.  It was scary!  Basically, we (pinners) are responsible for EVERYTHING we pin, and could be in serious violation of copyright laws and subject to fines, sanctions, and jail time!

It made perfect sense.  We've recently been through the SOPA and PIPA controversy.  I support people receiving credit and compensation for their work.

But, again, I'm not doing Pinterest to make money off other people's efforts.  I'm collecting images that make me happy.  I like to look at the pictures.  Period.  I don't intend to do anything but look at them.

The effect of the article was to curtail my enthusiasm about Pinterest.  I did very little pinning last week.  I thought about what it means for a week.

Today, I went looking for the Pin with the link to the article, so I could put it here and steer anyone interested to the information.  It wasn't there!  I looked several places, but the pin has vanished!

I took that as "permission" to move forward in my benign way and pin pictures that I find interesting, beautiful, moving and/or controversial.

I've included two (2) pins that help figure out how to Pin "correctly" and give credit to the proper person.  If you're interested.
http://thedailydigi.com/how-to-properly-pin-to-pinterest-a-tutorial/
http://www.graphicsfairy-crafts.com/2012/03/how-to-find-original-source-of-image-on.html

No comments:

Post a Comment